Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Chasing your dream...

So I have accepted an offer to leave my current job, and make a career change that I have been looking for all these years - to switch back to where my interest and passion is, IT.

No matter how hard my superior and I tried to work it out, my current job just not really IT-related. Yes, they tried to allocate more and more IT-related tasks (or what they think are IT-related tasks) to my current workload, but I just end up doing routine helpdesk support for the department. And being an IT-background person in an Engineering environment, I just can't help to feel that my work didn't really play a significant role to the department's direction.

Yet my current job give me so much freedom, in making decision, in scheduling my own time, and I have a very understanding boss (the best boss I have so far, but hopefully the next can be even better), good relationship with all the colleagues. To leave all this for a new environment is a tough decision, but a decision that I have to make. I just feel that it is time for me to move on. At least there are two more months to go, so I could enjoy the peaceful life here, before coming to term with the real world, haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in a similar situation. I develop software, but these are only little customization of a software made by other people, and it seems that in my company it's more important the "installing people" than developing people. I have many times thought to leave this work, but never made because I have good relations with other coworkers.
I hope you would have great professional future.

Kahfei said...

Exactly, I have getting so used to my current working environment that it is really hard to think of leaving. But as what Paul Graham said, when there are two choices, choose the harder one, that is the one most likely benefit you.

So, hopefully I pick the right one...