Friday, April 20, 2007

Junebug wiki

While browsing the list of blogs in RubyCorner, come across Junebug wiki as mentioned in RobbyonRails. The title "goodbye instiki, Hello Junebug Wiki" rather grabbing my attention immediately.

I have been looking for a simple wiki tools for a while, just for the purpose of putting down my own notes. Have had a brief test run on Instiki, I must admit that due to the really short time I spent with it, it didn't really leave a big impression on me. So, I thought, heck, why not give this funny named "Junebug wiki" a try?

Since I am sitting behind a proxy, installation wouldn't be as simple as gem install, but I really want to figure out a way of getting around it this time and not having to manual install again. I have tried

gem install GemName --Source -p http://proxy_name:80

but that didn't work. After googling around, found a solution, suggesting to turn on the "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" setting in Internet Explorer, which work immediately, I could install sqlite3-ruby gem straightaway. But installation of junebug still stuck though, and installation of the dependent gems still trigger the need of other gems, even --include-dependencies couldn't get the installation go automatically. So one after another I still look for these gems from rubyforge and installed it manually,

  • markaby-0.5.gem
  • builder-2.0.0.gem
  • metaid-1.0.gem
  • daemons-1.0.4.gem
  • camping-1.5.gem
  • junebug-wiki-0.0.28.gem
No, not necessary in that order. I didn't really remember the sequence I did the installation. But look like I still have to do most of the installation the hard way. Hmmm.

Well, after the installation, getting it to run is easy though, as advertised in TV. :-)

  • junebug wikiname -start some processes of creating tables in the background, then creating a initial user account, prompting username and password.
  • cd wikiname
  • ruby wiki run - start your wiki at 127.0.0.1:3301/ right away. Now here is the prove that I have really get it running, :-)






note: I don't know if the name has got anything to do with a 2005 released film "junebug", which by the way, won quite a number of prestigious film awards, sundance film festival included. But the official words is, there is no good story behind the name. :-)



Update
hmmm...seems like my installation of junebug wiki is broken after the succesful first run.
Just when I tried to explore it a bit further, it just show this,


I didn't change any setting on the computer or Rails in particular after junebug, so I am not too sure about the another instance running thing.

Update 2
Thanks to the advice from an anonymous comment, this problem exist mainly due to the "ruby wiki run" is a fore ground command, which might leave some old pid file when you quit by ^c.

That is what caused more than one instance running error. Suggestion from anonymous is to do "ruby wiki stop" a few times to make sure the wiki is stop.

Another command I found from RubyForge is to do a "ruby wiki zap". This command will actually delete the pid file and hence solve the problem.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so I know that this is a little late, but just for the reference of future Google-ers that may stumble across this post, here's the solution to that Junebug error:

I got it at first, too. It's because they first tell you to use the fore-grounded "ruby wiki run" command (it's the same as "ruby wiki start" except that the program runs in the foreground). When you ^c to kill the program, it doesn't exit gracefully and it leaves behind the old junebug.rb.pid file (which shows that a junebug wiki is running under the listed PID).

To fix it, I just ran "ruby wiki stop" several times until it was convinced that it was stopped. Then "ruby wiki run" to get it to go in a backgrounded session.

kahfei said...

Hi anonymous, thanks for pointing out that...Actually I got the problem fix soon after I post about it, but didn't get them time to update it to the post.

And then I have gone through a big mess to change to a new machine which run Vista, which taken me a bit of time again to start working with rails again...plus, I lost the link to the solution I have in the old machine.

So, thanks for the advice, will update that to the post, and I found another command for this as well (but not sure if this is the original solution I have),
ruby wiki zap